Monday, December 3, 2007

My Christmas Present to You

Y'all are NOT going to believe what I got my hot little hands on! This weekend we had to go back to the dealership to re-sign some stuff and to finally get Rob's car detailed. Instead of sitting around for the 2+ hours it would have taken they gave us a "dealer" car to take to lunch.

I noticed a piece of paper sticking out from under my seat and was stunned to discover it was an internal dealership memo. A memo that details the way that they want the salesman to screw you on your trade in!!!!!!

It is one thing to suspect they are messing with you, it is another entirely to see their methods detailed on paper. So...if you are planning to trade in a vehicle make sure you read this first. Pay special attention to the 2nd to last statement on the second page.

***I typed these two pages EXACTLY as they were printed....so the grammatical errors below are for once not mine***
{PAGE 1}
TRADE EVALUATION PROCESS

1) PRAISE THE TRADE UP UNTIL PAPERWORK STARTS
00A) CREATES ANTICIPATION OF GOOD DEAL FOR CUSTOMER
ooB) BUILDS REPORT WITH CUSTOMER
ooC) IF YOU LIKE THE CUSTOMER'S CAR THEY WILL LIKE YOU

2) DO SILENT WALKAROUND WITH CUSTOMER
ooA) DEVALUES TRADE IN CUSTOMER MIND
ooB) ALLOWS TIME TO GATHER EXTRA INFO ABOUT TRADE AND CUSTOMER
ooC) KEEPS CUSTOMER INVOLVED IN SALE

3) COMPLETE ENTIRE FORM
ooA) USE CLIP BOARD
ooB) WRITE LEGIBLY
ooC) WRITE DOWN TAG INFO
ooD) ASK CUSTOMER RATE TRADE

{PAGE 2}
CUSTOMER TRADE IN EVALUATION SURVEY

Get a clip board and get a trade in evaluation form. Never do without a clipboard.

Salesperson walks around the trade-in with customer.

SP: "Let me see the keys to the car you are selling us, my manager wants me to ask you a couple of questions about the care and maintenance of your vehicle."

Sales person touches every door ding, crack on the windshield, faded paint, bald tires and body damage. Open the trunk and look at the spare and jack.

Write the problems all over the evaluation.

You need to ask the customer all of the questions on this form.

Even if their ashtray is filled with cigarette butts still ask them if anyone has ever smoked in their vehicle.

"Did you buy this vehicle with the Alabama Environmental Protection Package?"

Get estimated payoff initially and then call and get a exact payoff from the lender when it is available.

After you ask all of the questions ask the customer "On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your vehicle 1 being it does not run and 10 being brand new." If the customer says it is an 8 ask them "are you sure?" with some doubt in your voice. You always want them to rate their car a 7 or less.

Remember: You are trying to devalue their car without telling them that their car is worthless.

Some car salesman out there might read this and be hacked off...sorry, I have never bought a car that I felt like I paid too little for. So consider this a public service...if this little post can keep just one person's trade in rated at an 8 then I feel like it was all worth it.

Knowledge is power...yada yada yada....

10 comments:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

OH!MY!GOSH! This is as gold as when Elaine found the soup natzi's recipes in the armoire on Seinfeld. Pure gold. Lets distribute this from planes over dealerships, lets put it on the hoods of the cars (as do those annoying people at the mall) lets blanket this nation with the propeganda that is the backbone of car dealers everywhere.
I cannot beleive that. This is GOLD, I tell ya, GOLD! Please for the love, please, send a copy to the dealership with where you got your hot little hands on it and tell them that you are onto the plan-as is hundreds of blog readers everywhere! Oh, HAHAA, I am so laughing.....

SouthernBell said...

That's crazy! You really found this form in your car?!?

(Do you know why I suddenly have to use a fake Google/Blogger account in order to leave a comment on your blog?)

For the Love... said...

Leigh-like I said I am a giver-I just love to help my fellow man....

SouthernBell-No, why?

Sandy said...

Brilliant! I love when this stuff happens - and God bless you for sharing!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I love this.

We are going to be getting a car in a few months for me. My car is a P.O.S. and I know it...but wow... good to know

Anonymous said...

LMFAO!!!! Fabulous!!!! Miss you=heading out to freeze my A.. off! Call me later=katfish
'
ps-did jason and i do that dance at our engagement party? for some reason i cannot remember.....

Karen said...

You are kidding me!!!! You go, girl! Thanks for posting this and empowering the public. I guess honesty truly is the best policy. Maybe you should post that little note onto the bottom before returning this to them. haha

Super B's Mom said...

OMG! Those sorry bastards. They all work for the debil.

I love you for sharing this!

Crazy Working Mom said...

Wow! Thanks for that useful information. I'm glad you found it...AND you didn't buy from them. Hopefully they're not ALL like that, ARE THEY?!?!

Tisha @ Crazy Working Mom

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Fantastic!! You are a doll!