Friday, July 11, 2008

Nuts...

No, Jesse Jackson's latest gaff is not the subject of this particular post...funny as it was...

Today's post is about the extreme joy I am feeling this morning. As soon as I finish writing this the FlyingMonkeys will be helping me clean out and organize my laundry room so that the new freezer will fit.

Thatsssss right, a new freezer chest...the perfect way for me to satisfy my food hoarding needs.

Nuts, right? It is not really hoarding, there is just something about having a stocked freezer and pantry that makes me uber content.

Although, I may be tempting fate.

Several years ago I had my Grandmother's freezer chest. It was one of those 14 foot monsters, the kind that could easily hold a couple of dead bodies and a months worth of frozen pizzas. After we got it set up on our carport we headed to our local meat place and Sam's with most of our tax refund in an attempt to fill it up. I even had a garden that year. I carefully harvested tomatoes and bell peppers, prepared them and froze them...I was soooooo happy.

Then one day I went to get some burgers out of it...

There are really no words to describe what I found when I opened it. Consider that it was late summer in south Alabama....and someone had unplugged the freezer...it had been off AT LEAST a week....

I still have bad dreams about the smell.

My new freezer will be smaller and in my laundry room...a place the kids never go so it is unlikely that it will be accidentally unplugged.

Gotta get ta cleanin...have a good weekend!

2 comments:

sailing yaya's said...

just trying out my new blog thingy

Willow said...

Perhaps you heard about the October Ice Storm that hit Buffalo, NY a few years ago. I was a worshipper of the fully stocked freezer chest up until the point we lost power for over a week and then had to try to clean out the Freezer That Smelled of Jeffrey Dahmer's Victims.

Seriously - I have an iron stomach and I barfed at least twice attempting to clean it. We ended up putting an otherwise perfectly good freezer to the curb on garbage day. My husband cried. I barfed...again.

We tried everything to get that smell out. And now I'm just leery about getting a new one - even a small chest freezer (which I really hate - all that digging and whatnot). I know realistically it won't smell unless the power is out for a week but I just can't stomach the thought of that smell...