Friday, July 18, 2008

Peas and Taco

We went to the Farmer's Market yesterday. I wanted the FlyingMonkeys to experience the "joy" of shelling peas....

When I was younger than Magnuts I was shelling peas. My best friend and I watched cartoons and shelled them until our thumbs were green. I wanted my kids to have this kind of fun...plus now I have this awesome freezer that needs to be filled.

Turns out that the difference in price between a hamper of peas shelled and un-shelled is only about $3. Thinking that the experience was more important than the fiscal logic I bought a 1/2 hamper of the wonderful white field peas and a 1/2 hamper of Zippers (easy to shell).

The white peas are not a lot of fun to shell. I shelled the entire bunch myself. MonkeyBoy shelled half of the Zippers by himself...at 11:30pm we were still shelling and watching TV.

It was at this time that Miss-D appeared with an empty hamster ball and tears in her eyes. Rob had put Taco in her ball for a little exercise and the lid had come off. We all searched for her...to no avail. Miss-D pulled out her laptop and found a website dedicated to helping people find their escaped hamsters....here are a few of the ideas:

-place flour on your floors so that you can identify their foot prints and track them back to their hiding places....

-place tin foil strategically around your house so that you can hear it rattle when your little pet walks over it....

-build a hamster trap....a shoe box with a hamster sized hole cut in the end, turn it on its bottom so that the hole is facing the ceiling, cover the hole with a paper towel with a treat on top of it.

-leave a trail of food all the way to the open cage....

Most of these ideas require that you check them every 20 minutes. It was after midnight...so...no. We did shut all of the toilet lids and we also put her cage on the floor with the door open...just in case.

This morning...still no Taco....and I still have peas to finish....

Y'all cross your fingers for Magnuts.

4 comments:

Willow said...

Oh no. Poor Taco! (Ok, poor kids...) Keep trying. Sooner or later he's got to show up, right?

Shelling peas...no way in hell you'd get me to do that. We'll pick the ends off green beans and eat 'em though!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

no way Taco could have gotten out, right?

Please keep us posted on the plight of Taco.

Oh, and I have no idea what shelling peas consists of. We always had them in a can or frozen. And what is a "hamper of peas"??

Sorry....

Super B's Mom said...

I actually love to shell peas. I know I'm weird. I guess b/c it makes me all nostalgic - thinking about sitting in the swing shelling peas with my Grandpa.

If I asked Super B to shell peas, he'd probably do it for like two seconds and then say his hand was cramping and quit.

Poor Taco. *ear muffs* You don't have a cat do you? I'm just sayin...

For the Love... said...

Chicka-I'm cool with shelling them as long as they are not butter beans...And I don't want to pick them.

Margaret-A hamper = sh#tload

or enough to make your thumbs hurt and turn green.

SuperB'sMom-I don't mind shelling them...it's nice to do while watching a game on TV. No kittys...I am very allergic. BTW, I am laughing about the earmuffs thing, just watched Old School again...