Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Little Bo Peep

Years ago some genius brought a dozen baby chicks to Miss-D's 4 year old preschool class. Same genius told all the kids that they could pick one out to take home. By the time I had a clue Miss-D had already named one and was ready to bring it home.

So, we had a house chicken-Little Bo Peep.

She was a free range chicken but her favorite spot was in front of the TV in the den with the kids. She had chicken toys. Well, she had a strand of fake pearls that she LOVED and a pair of sparkly high heels that she enjoyed throwing around. Bo Peep knew her name and would come when called.

In retrospect I guess it was all pretty strange...and I didn't even mention the fact that she would sit on the sofa watching Law and Order with me after the kids went to bed.

Ummmm...so what is the weirdest animal that has ever lived in your house?

5 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

SEriously? You had a pet chicken???

Which Law & Order did you watch with it? Regular? SVU? Cause I am all about SVU. Holy Crap addicted.

Am picturing a chicken with pearls and sparkly high heels (I am envisioning them being red) hanging out with you and a glass of wine.

God, you are my hero.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

When I was in 2nd grade, a long, long, LONG time ago, I chicken sat for 4 baby chicks. We had them in our classroom and I brought them home for a weekend.

We also had a bat in our house for two days. But it really wasn't much of a pet. LOL

Super B's Mom said...

Oh gosh...WHERE shall I begin?

Our first chicken was "Little Stuff" who returned home with my brother after a 1st grade field trip to the hatchery.

Then once we moved to my grandparent's farm....oh how the animals did abound. We've had newborn calves in the living room; me with the bottle, and my brother with the blowdryer trying to warm the thing up. (It had been born during an ice storm and even lost it's tail to frostbite.)

My favorite would have to be "Lucky" the chicken/pheasant hybrid that we hatched from the incubator. That was one ugly mug but he was my best friend just the same. He lived in a large cardboard yarn box that Dad brought home from the hosiery mill. Every single morning, Lucky would flutter up to the top of that box and just crow like nobody's business. We never needed an alarm clock when Lucky lived inside.

When he was full grown, I turned him loose in the barnyard. Then a mean angry fox came and gobbled him up.

As an adult, the best indoor pet I've had would be BOJANGLES the squirrel. I rescued her when she was a few days old, she fell out of a tree some loggers had cut. She gave me a crash course in taking care of babies since I was up every 2 hrs around the clock to feed her. This went on for weeks. She grew up to be the coolest pet I'd ever had. She was quite the character.

For the Love... said...

Margaret-yes, and at that time there was ALWAYS some version of Law & Order on....

I wish I had a picture....

Mrs.Schmitty-A bat! We have them out here, but they are "outdoor bats"...

SuperB'sMom-OOOOHHHHH! We had a squirrel when I was in middle school! It was a baby that our dog brought us. I bottle fed her every few hours...she was sooooo cool.

Willow said...

Not odd by today's standards, but we have a bearded dragon (reptile). Godzilla is the coolest.