Wednesday, November 7, 2007

168 Hour Work Week

I got a call from the Census Bureau yesterday. The pleasant young lady let me know that she was training and that her supervisor would be listening in. I had indeed filled out the 5 thousand page 2.4 million questionnaire they sent me a few months ago....but they had a question or two...

After a few dozen questions confirming my identity they asked the doozie....

CB: Uh...we have a question concerning your employment information

Me: Shoot

CB: It says here that you work 168 hours a week for a company called..........ummmm....Reevesfarm Family Planning and Management.

Me: Yes

CB: Well....now....that would be a lot of hours, ummmm more than you can really work in a 7 day period. Did you calculate that on a monthly basis instead of a weekly basis?

Me: No, I work about 720 hours in an average month, a few more in December a few less in February.

****Note-this lady was really sweet and trying to be polite to the crazy lady who thinks she works every minute of the day...****

CB: Uh...well that would mean you work every minute of the day...when would you sleep?

Me: On average I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night....but I am always on call....at any moment I may be woken to attend to a business emergency.

CB: OK, well lets move along to your duties...."Provides the following services 24 hours a day: maid, chauffeur, chef, laundress, tutor, advocate, medical, coach, accountant, fashion consultant, decorator, party planner, police officer......"

She got pretty quiet at this point...and then...laughter. Not just her, but her female supervisor, they were both laughing their butts off.

CB: Sorry, this is great! We have never seen one like this before...Good for you!

Score one for the stay at home Moms....

8 comments:

Mrs. Schmitty said...

OMG! You are so awesome, I just love it!

Phoenix said...

That is so great. I bet they've never seen anyone put it into words like that.

Karen said...

You go, Girl! It's about time we were recognized for our dedication.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I am so high fiving you write now.
There is this web site that I went to that calculates what you shoul dbe earning. I did mine and had my husband sign the virtual check for prosperity (smile). The web site is http://swz.salary.com/momsalarywizard/layoutscripts/mswl_newsearch.asp

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

oops, I meant right now. YOu see-when we stay at home from time to time, there are minor mechanical malfunctions...

Anonymous said...

Perfect! You're a Genius!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

You are officially my favorite person EVER. Can I come over and play? I'm not kidding and I am not a stalker. I swear.....

For the Love... said...

Thanks guys! When I first realized that form gave 0 value to anyone who worked from home I decided to refuse to fill out that portion and put a post-it note over it with a snarky explanation.

Then I decided that my work info was just as important as Rob's. So I am sure the 168 hours a week at 0 pay really got their attention.

Wasn't really some kind of politcal statement...I was just torked.