Thursday, November 1, 2007

Snail Mail....

I am sure I have seemed a tad grumpy lately....there is a good reason. Well it is a good reason to me.

I LOVE the FlyingMonkey's pediatrician...she is awesome. But for the last two months we have had issues getting their meds refilled. 2/3 of them are taking medication for their ADD/ADHD. This medicine can not be "called in." You must have a physical prescription in hand to get a refill. Their Dr. is an hour away and so each month I call the office to let them know I need a refill and they mail the prescription to me in one of the self-addressed stamped envelopes I provided.

Last month, for convenience I used a pharmacy I had never been to before. Long story short...it was a two day ordeal that culminated in the Pharmacist announcing to everyone in the store, including Miss-D that I was trying to pass fake prescriptions. I tried to defend myself, saying that there had to be some kind of misunderstanding...he just kept saying that he would not be filling my fake prescription...people were staring.

I was mortified, snatched the prescription away from the guy, went to Wal-Mart and had it filled and was on my way in less than 30.

Turns out that the Dr. was using new prescription writing software and the DEA number "may" be off my one numeral. That is what the pediatrician's office told me anyway. Even if that is true it does not excuse the Pharmacist's behavior...and I told the Corporate Office and the Board of Directors so in a strongly worded e-mail. They contacted me within 12 hours of me sending the e-mail and were very apologetic....even though, in their words- "I would love to explain how this could happen, but it is inexcusable..."

So now it is a month later. I called last Wednesday for their refill. It is now Thursday and still no prescription. Usually I call it in, it is mailed the next day, and I get it the day after that. We are now out of medicine. Completely out. For some reason I usually wait until the last minute to call in the refill...it has come down to the wire before....but we have never just been OUT. I was so proud that I remembered to do it "early"....the prescriptions should have overlapped by about 4-5 days.

Without their medicine they have to be watched more closely. They will accidentally throw their plates or silverware in the garbage can instead of just scraping them. One of them has been known to put their pants on backwards. I have to make sure that we have everything we need before leaving for school, and then check again when I drop them off to make sure they didn't leave anything in the car. I had to point out that while it was a good thing that one of them already had their shoes on....it would make putting on the socks they were holding tricky.

It is not fair to them. Had the two in question not already missed several days of school in the last 3 weeks because they were sick...I would have kept them home. I did send a note to the teacher explaining the situation and asking for understanding.

The mail gets here at 1pm....today will be 8 days since I requested a refill....keep your fingers crossed.

6 comments:

Super B's Mom said...

So sorry to hear you're having these problems. I'll have my fingers crossed that it arrives today. That suxs about the psycho pharmacist.

I've decided that doctors take for granted that their "oops" cause us mothers HUGE distress. I spent yesterday morning at the dr. with Super B, after the fill in dr misdiagnosed his facial rash. Allergy? No - it's STAPH. So I blew one copay on the dumbass who wasted the time I could have been treating his infection. And I was sure to give them a piece of my mind before I left.

Anonymous said...

I hope for everyone that the prescriptions are in the mail! Asshole pharmacist.

mommiebear2 said...

Ive got my fingers crossed for you. :)

orneryswife said...

Does your insurance have a mail order plan? Ours requires that we order recurring prescriptions through their mail order program or pay much higher prices at the pharmacy. It is an auto ship every month or two, and all you have to do is file the paperwork once a year. If there is something like that you can use, it sounds like it would help you a lot!

Bummer that the pharmacist was so rude. There is just no excuse for that type of thing when a simple phone call to the Dr. would have taken care of it all!
TM

For the Love... said...

Super B's Mom-Wow! I am so glad y'all figured out what it was and have been able to start treatment.

Nikki-They finally came yesterday...and I agree the pharmacist was a tool.

Mommiebear2-Thanks..must have worked!

Ornery's Wife-I have no idea but will try to find out...it is just that the perscription for the kids is a class 3 drug and can be tricky. You are right about the pharmacist...

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Did you get the 'scrip?

Need me to come and kick some pharmacist ass? Cuz I will. And they'll cry. And we will go and drink wine and eat cookies.