Thursday, April 3, 2008

Harmony & A High Colonic

For the last month Rob has been working 6pm-3am. He did this so that his company could train the new night guy. Monday he went back to his regular schedule...yet things around here were still wonky.

Tempers of the entire clan seemed to be short...some of us were forgetful. Some of us were just downright stupid...for example-If you decide to amp up your box fans and then choose not to put the guards back on do not forget yourself and reach in to pick up a string...those flimsy plastic blades can actually put a big hurt on your hand.

I try very hard to get the FlyingMonkeys fed and delivered to school every morning without conflict. It just seems like chewing someones arse and then dropping them off at school sets a bad tone for their entire day...so some days I just have to let stuff go. Yesterday morning I failed. We had plenty of time to get ready, no need to rush, and yet it turned into a giant cluster...I chewed butts all the way to school...then felt like a giant turd the whole way home.

I considered how tense our house had been lately, our family "harmony" was definitely off. Rushing around trying to be at all the practices, supplemental practices, papers/projects due, and a poor nights sleep...something had to be done.

I mentally cancelled all afternoon activities. Came up with a plan of action that would hopefully result in a nice quiet night that would allow us all to recharge and then shared that plan with the FlyingMonkeys when I picked them up...along with an apology for acting like a rabid howler monkey that morning.

At dinner that evening I had to explain to Rob that I indeed had referred to our lack of family harmony...he couldn't get over me using the word "harmony." I think he was worried I might break out some healing crystals and insist on a family high colonic to finish the evening. Uhhh....not gonna happen...ever. My version involved extra TV time for the FlyingMonkeys, a cocktail for me, and a cookies and cream milkshake for Rob.

Before dinner was over the kids were talking about what they had done to contribute to a night of family harmony...cleaning up their rooms, getting an early shower, not beating each other to death....Finally one of them asked me what I was going to do...I looked Rob right in the eye and said, "After you all go to bed I am going to make-out with your Daddy...so you better stay out of the kitchen if you don't want to see us all kissing and hugging."

Yes, I poked the "Harmony Bear". The kids started gagging and telling me I was gross...but they were grinning, and for the first time in a few days Rob was too.

So this morning all is quiet, the FlyingMonkeys are dressed and ready for school and the rabid howler monkey is nowhere to be found. Harmony seems to be restored.

2 comments:

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Preach on, sisita! I have those days. When Big Daddy and I ar trying to watch something on tv and the kids come in fighting we always say, "Lets make out, honey" and they leave the room everytime. Back to the show. (and dont I feel ya!)

Sandy said...

Great solution to a common problem!