Thursday, September 20, 2007

Nurse....

In first grade Magnuts loved the school nurse. He went to see her at least 3 times a week. She loved him too and would often call me to tell me of his latest complaint while trying not to burst out laughing. My all time favorite would be the time that he went to the nurse because, and I quote the snickering nurse, "he was starving to death." How do you cure a dire illness like that??? Fruit snacks.

Now before I go on I need to clarify. He did not hate school or have problems with the other kids. He just loved the nurse and her fruit snacks.

That same year MonkeyBoy broke his wrist on the playground. A boy kicked a ball to him and it caused a buckle fracture. It did not swell or turn blue it was just very tender. He went to the nurse and she told him he was ok, just to be careful with it. He came home and I told him that it didn't look broken (cause I have X-ray eyes dontcha know). The next day it was still very sore so I took him to the Dr. just to make sure he was ok. When we picked up Magnuts and Miss-D that afternoon MonkeyBoy was sporting a bright shiny new cast.


The next day at school Magnuts hopped into the nurse's office. He told her that his leg (the one he was jumping on) was definitely broken. She had him sit down and checked him out...he made all the right groaning noises and winced appropriately. She told him that she was sure it was not broken and that he would be just fine. He asked her to call me. When she asked why he told her, "Well you didn't think MonkeyBoy's arm was broken either."


I am so glad the nurse loved him AND had a sense of humor......

6 comments:

Super B's Mom said...

Ha! That Magnuts is a pistol, isn't he? I love that kid!!

Did he get any fruit snacks?

Mrs. Schmitty said...

AAAHHH...saw that one coming! I bet she cut off his fruit snacks and starting giving him raisins.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

That's it....I am coming to visit. Seriously....your family is the funnest ever.

when we decide to have kids, can you give me tips to having them turn out like yours? Cause I kinda envy the hell out of you. How much fun!!!!

For the Love... said...

Super B's Mom-yes, he got 2 packs...later that week we ran into the nurse at the grocery store..I made sure she saw the giant boxes of oatmeal, etc.. Didn't want her to think I was starving them!

Mrs. Schmitty-I tried to tell her that, but she wouldn't do it. She said she couldn't do that to him cause she was so funny and sweet...He had her WRAPPED!

Margaret-Mi casa es su casa! And most of the time they are a lot of fun!!

Betti said...

Awwww. . . . that story reminds me of my kind and gentle preschool teacher, Mrs. Neelis. She was a thin woman with perpetually cold hands - anytime I had a boo-boo I'd run to her she'd freeze it better.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.