Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Make It Happen Captain

I have a new respect for those seated in the boat while a person is learning to ski. We also learned that the best way to pull my children is to only have the 2 adults in the boat-no extra children. Children in the boat will taunt the skier and test the patience of the driver and spotter.

We tried the slalom thing this weekend....Miss-D was able to get up and stay up for 25-50 feet and after her last arse busting fall she asked me "can you hear that ringing noise?"


MonkeyBoy tried it on one ski too....with less spectacular results and lots of me yelling "get the frickin rope, hurry it is coming right by you....no on your left! Your OTHER left! Hurry or you are gonna miss it...For the love... turn the boat around. Where is the Tylenol?"

While you sit waiting for the skier to locate and put on their skis and get to the rope you can get a little warm-like being in a frying pan but without the yummy melted butter. About every 20 minutes the planets would come into alignment-ski on, rope in hand and it would be time to "tighten up." The "tighten up" occures 2-3 seconds before the skier is ready to be pulled up-the boat gently pulls forward to remove any slack in the rope. In our case the skier was ready for the removal of the slack but then would hesitate in giving us the thumbs up. This caused our skier to start yelling "stop stop..snork choke.." as they were slowly dragged forward and under. As this happened their ski rotated off to the side and then behind them and in this panic they will let go of the rope, but not before the ski is ripped from their foot. So we start over, circle the skier to get them the rope, wait for the planets to align, tighten up (fingers crossed) and GUN IT! 3.2 seconds of blissful wind as the boat rockets 6 feet forward....and then stops for our skier has busted his arse. 20 more minutes of roasting in the frying pan while waiting for the planets to align...



I look like a lobster.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh the joys of being a mommy ...

I had a romantic date night with my husband Friday, but the hostess had other plans. Check it out: http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/southern/2007/09/date_night.html

Anonymous said...

I could never get my butt up in the air to ski, so hats off to your kids. Hope the ringing noise wet away!

Phoenix said...

I commend you on your patience. Long ago, I decided that jet skis were the way to go.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I don't swim in lakes or ski or anything that involves touching the water itself. Stuff is in that water that wants to bite you.

I only stay in the boat.

Anonymous said...

ahhh, those were the days, being drug behind a boat either receiving a massive douch/wedgie, or a brain wash!!!! all in all, only good memories remain. Even the one's from your dad dragging me behind the jet ski on a water ski!!!! so proud of the kids!!! i still have the best pictures of your eldest skiing this summer!!!!

Anonymous said...

you have to get in the water behind them and hold everything in place! or they make training skis
that have a rope that holds their skis together. Either way it is still a long process I know!
Ask my Dad!! 3 boys!! I have missed
the pier by 2 feet many times... that last whip!!! Chuck