Monday, January 21, 2008

Dropping It Like It's IcyHot

The central portions of Alabama saw some snow this weekend. There were even times when the WeatherGuy suggested that even we might see a flake or two...it was not to be...and I was so disappointed. It was sick really. I was actually a little angry...but with who (told you I was sick)???? There is a city less than an hour north of us that was reporting around 5.5 inches by noon....NOT FAIR.


The part that made me feel the worst was that Magnuts has never seen snow in his life. The older two have but were so young I feel like their memories are actually more like stories just to irritate Magnuts.


At some point Saturday I remembered something my brother and I had done as kids. We were living in the hospital apartments where our Dad was finishing his medical training. Our parents were out of town and our cousin "Chucky" (yeah, he has posted on this site before...) was staying with us. Connected to our apartment complex was this enormous fenced in parking lot. It seems like it may have been at least as wide as a city block...and it was basically one giant asphalt hill.

We took the water hose and pulled it as far as it would reach into the parking lot...pretty far by the way, and turned it on. With careful management and glee in our hearts we managed to ice up the entire bottom half of the lot. We then took plastic hospital trays and sledded until we wore through the ice. When the asphalt started to show we just turned the hose back on. It was so much fun...or it was until armed hospital security showed up...and they did not have glee in their hearts. Apparently covering the parking lot in a 3 inch deep sheet of ice is frowned upon.


So, with that memory in mind I decided to try something like that here. The kids helped me keep up with the temperature all day and into the evening. It did not get down to freezing until after 9pm but was expected to stay at or around freezing for the next 24-36 hours. Around 9 I bundled up, grabbed a flash light and went out to see what I could make happen...for the children...yeah, right. We have a nice little hill right behind the house. My plan was to ice it up and let the kids slide down it. I got the hose and my little sprayer attachment. I set the hose to "mist" and propped it up so that it would be spraying the hill.

I checked it several times before going to bed and everything seemed to be going according to plan. This morning...not so much. The dang thing turned during the night and iced up the flat area before the hill.

**Note to self....a nerf football does not make a reliable prop.



Not exactly and ideal sledding surface...but it is perfect for causing me to bust my arse. I had just taken this pic...turned to go back inside...and WHAMMO right on the ground I went.

So it didn't snow, and we are not going to be sledding...and I may have sprained my wrist and hip in the fall....but...well....nothing.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

I am so sorry that you are hurt but my gosh, that's a funny story! We decided once when I lived in the desert to just hook the kids sleds behind the pickup trucks. Yeah. Did you know that sand will wear out a plastic snow sled in something like 5 minutes?

Thanks for reminding me of this and I hope you feel better.