Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Wedding Story *Snort* Part II

I had only been at Ft. Knox for a month or so when Rob came to see me. As soon as he got home from this visit he went to his Recruiter and told him that he wanted to go Active Duty but only if he got to choose his duty station. Rob ended up with 4 choices, Ft. Knox was one of them.


Several months later I was really glad Rob had moved to Ft. Knox when I had to have major ankle surgery that would put me out of commission for weeks. My major concern was that my room was on the 2nd floor of my building. After surgery I would not be able to get myself down the hall to the bathroom much less down 2 flights of stairs and over to the chow hall. Rob had a double room in his building and moved in an extra twin bed (one of the perks to being the Supply Sergeant) for me.


He took me to the hospital, stayed during the hours of surgery and after I was released he carried me up the 3 flights of stairs to his room and got me settled in the EXTRA twin bed (extra Mom, as in 2 beds). He worked in the basement and was able to come up every hour or so and help me to the bathroom and was also kind enough to bring me food. I don't know what I would have done without him.


After several days of this some of the other female soldiers started to complain. They did not like that I could use the female latrine and not have to participate in the cleaning party. Rob was told that I would have to go.


We decided to get married. Yeah, romantical no? I wish I could tell you that it was some big amazing thing that culminated in a proposal...


We had been talking about the possibility for weeks, it just seemed like the time was right. We are practical like that.


We spent several hours talking about it, what it would mean, how we felt about it. I had met his parents when we were in school...he had never laid eyes on mine. We decided to get married the next day...and not to tell our parents (yeah, what are we 12?).

He delivered me to my room that evening and headed back to his to make arrangements for the next day. Y'all are gonna love this....we were getting married on a Tuesday so he was going to need to ask for a long lunch. His boss must have been feeling generous because he let Rob have a half day. That's right... he worked until lunch, changed out of his uniform and was off to be married.

Rideau had taken half day so that she could be my Maid of Honor. She helped me into my fancy wedding clothes...a one piece skort with a single Ked on my non-casted leg.

Rob showed up right after lunch and the three of us piled into his car headed for the Justice of the Peace.


To be continued....

4 comments:

Aimee said...

This story is making me smile. Can't wait for the next installment!

Sandy said...

I do love a romantic story!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I love your story. Love it.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I love this story! so sweet