Thursday, July 12, 2007

No Crying...

Will you watch a movie or read a book that you KNOW is going to make you cry? I won't.

I absolutely hate crying...not as much as I hate snakes, but close. I just can't stand it, it does not make me feel better; I have never understood the phrase-"go and have yourself a good cry." It makes my head and stomach hurt.

There is only one movie that I have ever watched that I knew would make me cry-"Steele Magnolias." You know that part after the daughter dies and they are all at the cemetery? You are just choking on tears and they start talking about making t-shirts that say "I hate Weezer." I love that.

Once at the lake, very late at night, I could not sleep. There was a book on the bedside table and I, the fool that I am, cracked it open and started to read. I should have just gone down to the kitchen and snorted some hot sauce, or maybe slammed my fingers in a car door a few times..It was all about an older couple and the husband was loosing his wife to Alzheimer's . What a fun read.


So, while I may miss a lot I just can't watch something that was intended to make me cry. I have to change if the episode of MASH comes on when Col. Blake dies. I have never seen The Pursuit of Happyness because I know it would tear me up. I cried like a baby when they killed "the Eel" on Chicago Hope (who saw that coming?!?).

So y'all, am I just weird?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way I think of it is that if a book or movie can make me cry (or laugh out loud or make me angry, for that matter) without gimicks, they've done their job in writing. And I always appreciate great writing.

And, honestly, I do love to find books and movies that can do that to my emotions.

Super B's Mom said...

I LOVE movies and books that make me cry. (Although I hide behind the throw pillows so hubbie doesn't see me - or else he'll make fun of me.) What I do hate are books and movies that scare me. Lord knows there's enough of that crap in the world as it is.

So...you got a thing against snakes too, huh? Is it fear or phobia? B/c I'm SERIOUSLY phobic when it comes to snakes. Can't watch em on tv, look at em in books. If you ever get bored, I can tell you the story of my trip to Gatlinburg when a snake found its way into my car.

Phoenix said...

There is only one part where i almost cried in Pursuit of Happyness. I was able to hold it in though. And I'm a sap, so you'll probably be okay.

I cry at songs and books and movies and sometimes even hallmark card commercials, but it doen't always make me feel better and it always gives me a headache.

Aimee said...

If you're weird, I am too. I just read the Secret Garden for the first time and I got 1/2 way through and then started asking people...
Does Dicken die?
Does Colin die?
Do any of the animals die?

These were serious questions before I would finish the book. :) hehe.

J. A. Blackburn said...

I'm totally with you. Life is hard/sad/scary/strange enough without dwelling on those aspects in what's supposed to be entertainment! Keep it light and fluffy for me!!

willowtree said...

Short answer: Yes.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I BAWL every time I see the last episode of Fresh Prince. It's on Nick at Nite all the time (cause I think thats the only show they have the rights to). Bawl.

Anonymous said...

Pursuit of happiness, is not near as bad as you wo uld think! i was only sad once too. you really would love, so much more to it than you think. but, i was at the lake alone w/ all three girls up late w/ some cheap chardonay. I still didn't get all weepy!!!-katfish

mommiebear2 said...

Yes, yes you are weird. ;) I love a good movie/book that makes me cry. Pursuit of Happyness, I LOVED THIS MOVIE!! So much, that I almost blogged about it. And yes, I cried like 5 times during it - hmmm, maybe Im the wierd one eh?

Southern Fried Mom said...

Totally with you on this one! I don't mind sad...like Steel Magnolias, Beaches, etc... but I despise it when the whole tragic loss thing is made into this romanticized ideal. NO! IT SUCKS!!!! If you love somebody and they die, it is not romantic and beautiful and poignant...it sucks! Especially if they are young and beautiful...for this reason I hated Titanic, and (although it was very well done) Pearl Harbor. You knew it was going to be gloom and doom before it started. Long before my dad was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's, I refused to read or watch the Notebook. Same principle. I'd rather laugh than cry.