Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Comment Part II

First of all - Thanks for all of the feedback on To Comment or Not To Comment.

It was nice to hear some of my own thoughts verbalized by others. I especially related to something Margaret said, "Some, quite honestly, I feel I am not "cool" enough to comment on.". I feel the same way about a bunch of the blogs I read. There are a few that regularly have 80-100 comments (like MetroDad---I feel your pain Phoenix! LOL) that I have been reading forever that I have never commented on. Even if a post was particularly funny--I just can't bring myself to add my, "Bwhaaahaaahaa" to all of the others. That makes me a lurker, huh?

Super B's Mom brings up another good point-you have something great to say, you are scrolling down to do it, and someone else has already said it, DOH!

Willowtree said, "Some bloggers just want a huge list of readers and rarely comment on other blogs. I like the community aspect, and a certain level of reciprocation. " I couldn't agree more. I feel like I am keeping up with my friends lives when I read their blogs...people I have never met in my life and maybe never will (still not over missing MamaDramaConQueso..I am sick I know).

Slackermommy says that she does a bit of A, B and C. I would be willing to bet that those who include choice C (Post even though you're not saying anything new just to let your blogger friends know you stopped by.) are more likely to be bloggers and this kind of gets back into Willowtree's point of reciprocation. I also would choose A, B, and C unless I chose D.....Hey I can't believe it either but I just outed myself as a lurker in the first paragraph.


Momish said, "I will read through the others because I love to see what other people have said (some of the funniest and touching things are said in the comments section). I have often learned about new bloggers that grab my attention by the comments they make." I would not have a blog at all if it were not for a comment ( Magnuts ) I made on MamaDrama and the reaction it got.


Absolutely Bananas, Chase, Blue Momma, and Paulette Foley all confirmed what I already suspected-bloggers love comments-period. Seriously, I got excited when I had my first spam comment...how dorky am I??? So how come, in light of this proof that bloggers love feedback, am I ever reluctant to post a comment?


Mom2Emnroo mentioned, "blog world etiquette." I wish someone would write a little bloggy manual. If you do please include things like:


1. How often can I comment on a person's blog without seeming like a stalker?

2. How long after being tagged for a MeMe do I have to get it done?

3. How do I pick 5 people to pass along an award to?

4. When picking these people if I pick someone "famous" who really does not know me does that make me a giant bloggy looser?

5. Should I put a link on my page for every blogger that reads and comments on my site?

6. Should I post every day even if I don't have much to say?

7. Is it better to just have one pretty good post per week?

8. If I wait 24 hours and then comment on each comment left about a post....and someone leaves a new comment days later do I need to go comment on that one too?


So, if you have your own questions to add to our "Bloggy Manual" post a comment. If you have answers for some of these quandaries please share.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about this? I'm gonna comment on your comment on my comment about commenting!

I'm new to your blog, but am enjoying it and have added it to my "daily read".

And I haven't received a spam comment yet, or even any hate mail type comments. I am sooo ready for my first hater!!!

mommiebear2 said...

You know its pretty funny to read all of your questions and realizing that I have asked myself these same questions to myself. I wish like My Space, we had a "Tom" that could you walk you through the world of blogging so you dont feel like youre just posting blindly. Oh and blue momma, I think I would prolly cry if I ever got a hater! ;)

Queen of the Mayhem said...

You have to know that comments are the crack of the blogging community. I am dork about them too. If someone new comments...I am so excited...it's like they are putting in print that I am worthy of reading!

I need a copy of that manual!

PS: I have had a hater...and if you are as sensitive as I am......it is NOT FUN!

Phoenix said...

Hmm let em see if I can answer some of these for you. Maybe we should all just make it up oursleves and refer back to it, when someone asks us these questions? Lemme see...

1. You can comment every post, they don't think you're a stalker unless you email them evey post too. People like comments or they wouldn't open the post up too it. Bloggers by nature are comment whores. :)

2. A blogging week, which I think is fiveish days?

3. Pick the people you know will do it. Or don't pick anyone.

4. Nope, but they normally won't do it.

5. Nah, only the ones you really like. But I'm unclear on this one myself.

6. Not sure. I'm going with posting when I have soemthing too say. Of course, it may be something odd or random, but that's cool too.

7. I don't know, maybe not. it makes me sad when someone only posts once a week. Like they're getting tired of it. MetroDad only posts once every week or two and that sucks. But I guess if that's what you've gotta do, do it.

8. Hmmm, no?

Ok, I'll stop hogging your comments section now.

Gina said...

1. I think every time you find something interesting is fine. If it's every day, then so be it.

2. I have been known to do them up to a month after. But I ALWAYS do them.

3. I leave my memes open. That way, no one feels left out or that I like someone else better.

4. Yeah, if they don't know you personally it's not a good idea.

5. I think you should put a link if you both have a mutual liking and sort of "know" the other blog. I am not a fan of putting up people's links who I don't even know.

6. Definitely only when you have something to say. When you write a post that even YOU know is boring, it takes the fun out of it. Quality over quantity, says I.

7. See above.

8. Technically speaking, yes. If you always answer comments and you only don't answer that one person, they might think you don't care. And maybe they were on vacation or had sick kids and couldn't comment as soon as your post went up.

Sorry, this is almost a post in itself!

willowtree said...

First off, I'd like to agree with Mommish, about 40% of the time the comments on my posts are more entertaining than the posts themselves. I don't mind, in fact I prefer it that way.

As for Blogging Etiquette, there are actually several blogs devoted to this very thing, but as the authors are all self important, self appointed experts on the subject, I won't even include the links (a couple of them are just plain mean spirited).

That said, here are my thoughts:

1. As often as you like (it does depend on the blog a little, but you can usually tell), sometimes a conversation erupts and that can be funny.

2.You don't have to get Memes done at all! I only do them if a)I've got nothing else to write, or b)if they are well thought out. And I do them in my own time. However I don't tag.

3. That's a hard one! You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I don't award anything (I used to, but I got too many complaints from people I didn't award to). But I've made my position clear on that.

4. Yes.

5. No, I normally add a link only after some sort of rapport has been formed.

6. Yes, if you want to keep your readers. No, if you honestly just do it for yourself.

7. James Cooper has been doing that for years and it works for him. But it has to be really good.

8. Depends on the comment.

Jennifer said...

1. I don't think you could ever be considered a stalker...unless you were to say really creepy things!

2. I don't know, in fact I don't always do every meme I get tagged for. If I've already done a similar one, then I don't redo it.

3. I say pick whomever you'd like, but remember people get very tired of being tagged while others love to be tagged. And many people don't read memes...

4. No it doesn't make you a loser, but they probably won't do it.

5. Depends. I just redid my blogroll to include everyone that has included me on their blogroll.

6. NO!!! I get tired of going to people's sites who obviously have nothing to say, but just want the visitors. However, I have definitely posted just because I want the interaction. It gets boring here at home!

7. That's too few in my opinion.

8. That's entirely up to you.

This is a great post subject!

Anonymous said...

I adore reading blogs. It is all about community for me. If someone leaves a comment on my blog I instantly have the desire to check them out and read. With a preschooler and a newborn I have not had a lot of spare time to explore and find new places to read, so I am always thankful when someone new leaves a comment. However do to the HUGE list of blogs I do read, I do not keep leaving comments unless people are taking the time at my place. Does that make sense?

I say share your thoughts! I try to !

For the Love... said...

Blue Momma-Thanks so much! Also thanks for commenting on my comment about your comment about commenting.

Mommiebear2- It is nice to find that other people are thinking the same things.

Queen of the Mayhem-I have to agree-comments=crack, guess that makes me a crack ho.

Phoenix- I already did a #4, she did not do it but was very nice about it. Now if I could just scrub this big L off of my forehead....

Gina - about #2, thanks for that, I have one sitting in draft and really need to get it out. I have waited so long that everyone else has done it so I don't need to tag anyone.

Willowtree - does this count as a rapport? Just kidding, I couldn't resist-still trying to get giant L off forehead...

Jennifer-Sometimes I say weird things, really......

Chelle-as I was typing these responses your's popped up so you just saved me #8! Thanks!! What you said makes total sense-I read a huge list everyday too.

AfKaP said...

I agree with willowtree~!!

It is a community - Answers to questions (I could do a whole blog on this:
1. As often as you feel like (I welcome frequent comments - it feels like friendship - not stalking!)
2 You don't ever HAVE to do a meme! (smile - friends understand!!)
3. Choose whomever you think deserves it and don't worry if you don't have 5 or if you have more than 5!!
4. yes. Loser!
5. No, Put a link for everyone that you want to read regularly or for people whom you want to recommend to others!
6. Post when you want! (If you want readers more often is better - but explaining that you only post wevery three days (or whatever) also works!!
7. It is better to have fantastic posts everyday - but better to post less frequently with better posts - probably - but the news is good too- we like to know how things are going. You don't have to invent relativity every day!
8. You don't need todo anything. Comments on comments are good as long as they are (well...) good comments and worth reading!!

Aimee said...

The only thing I have to add is that I met my blog best friend because she commented on a popular blog and I thought her comment was funny. I'm getting really busy and not posting very often and I'm afraid I won't talk to people or they wont' read my (very limited) posts if I don't make sure to check theirs and comments. Not that I don't want to see what they are up to - but that I can't do it as often as I used to. ::sigh:: hehe.

Anonymous said...

How much am I loving Pheonix's definition of a blogging week? Priceless.

There are no real rules. If you have talent they will come. You have talent. Nuff said.

PS. MamaDramaConQueso II will be sometime in September. You have to be there.

Hang on, I've gotta go give Blue Momma her first hate comment.