Monday, July 30, 2007

Football Pads and Therapy

Last year both of my sons played football for the first time, tackle football. We went several days before the first practice and picked up all of the pads. I was a little mystified by the sheer volume of stuff I was going to have to shove into their little pants.



**The fact that I am now able to label the above photo shows what a long way I have come....last year I was wondering why he needed two "cups" and why they were so soft - see knee pads...**



That was before I bought the actual pants and saw the 8 billion little pockets and hidey holes.


Getting those pads in and out of the pockets so that I could wash their disgusting sweaty stinky practice pants was sheer hell. I literally had to do it with my door closed and the TV volume all the way up...It was the only way to shield their little eyes and ears from the site of their mother, soaked in sweat wrestling the pads in/out of the sadistically small pockets while she cursed the pants, pads, coach, heat, maker of said pads, maker of said pants....I even considered washing the effing pants with the pads in, until I was told by a sanctimonious (not the one who washes and replaces the pads) father that it would damage "the integrity of the pads." Well screw my integrity, but you better not mess with the pads.


Anyway, because I procrastinated I ended up having to put the pads in by myself for the first practice. Did you read the part above where I thought the knee pads were some kind of soft "cup"? We got to the field and I realized that the thigh pads were in backwards-- instead of cupping the leg they were cupping the air. We were gonna have to reposition-and it went a little something like this:
Me sitting on bleacher -hands down boy's pants attempting to wrestle thigh pads into submission:
Me- "Be STILL this won't take a minute" (which we both knew was a damn lie)
Boy - " MOM!!! They will see my underpants!"
Me - "Be stilllllllllll"
Boy - "OOWWWWWW! THAT WAS MY WEE WEE!"
****crickets chirping parents turning to look****
Me- *grinning in my best "nothing to see here!" fashion* "Beeeeeeeee stilll I am almost...."
Boy - "OWWWWW!
Me -"Screw it."

I had waited until we got to the field before doing the snap pads...how hard could it be?
Got it done with no cursing and even better -did not look like some pervert. I was in the zone baby! I don't need no stinkin' man to help me! Notice the coverage the pads provide the lower part of the spine and ribs....

The boys ran onto the field and practice began. It was going so well, until the coach noticed that the boys were moving a little funny and that their jerseys were poking out in odd places. Magnuts kinda looked like the had a tail....He called them to the middle of the field for closer inspection.....apparently the "snappy pads" go like this:


I had them upside down.

All this aside...they have knee pads, thigh pads, hip pads, tailbone pads, shoulder pads, helmet pads, chin guards, mouth guards....a pad for every part-but their genitals....Who decided it was more important to have a butt crack pad than a cup?

In 20 years when the boys are grown and suddenly stop repressing the memory of "the repositioning", I am sure to be called to explain to a therapist why it was that I had my hands down their pants at football practice. Cross your fingers that the therapist is a woman who once had to wrestle pads into football pants herself......

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing my ass off!

I so dread the day my Punkin' might ask to play football. I so don't think I can turn him over to people who I know are going to beat the crap out of him in the name of sport.

His Daddy will argue. We'll see who wins....

Gina said...

That is why I am steering Mr. P into baseball!

Anonymous said...

Thank God I have a girl.

Anonymous said...

hahaha too fun! I would not have a clue how to place those pads in!

Kathy said...

I go through the same thing with all of our dirbike gear. Knee pads, elbow pads - they all look the same.
A couple of years ago we were camping out at the Kids Field day. My kids befriended the blended family next to us - 4 boys ages 5-7. I was in the trailer changing - in gear from the waist down, naked from the waist up. I heard, "Mom" and turned to see my kids and the kids from the camp next door huddled at the door. I still close the doors, but figure any attempts at modesty are just a losing battle.

Anonymous said...

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you hear me still laughing?!?!?! Laughing really loud!!!! I will talk to the therapist for you if you need me to!!!!

jannaj1979 said...

i am not going to laugh, because i had no idea at the same time... know that this year wont be the same... see ya at practice tomorrow night...

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Yeah, so mental note, if I have a boy (someday) - NO FOOTBALL!!!

Big Pissy said...

God, I'm glad I had girls! *LOL*

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

Karen said...

I peed myself laughing! So glad I'm not the only one not fluent in the language of sports.

For the Love... said...

Blue Momma - I worry every game, but he loves it and I have to just sit with fingers crossed.

Gina - Mine play both-ugggg

Jenny - There are several girls on the team.....

Chelle-Thank you! I did see that they now make pants with the pads already in-sewn in- so what was that crap about ruining them if they were washed?!?!

Motomom-yahhh and keeping up with all of the gear is a lotta fun too, no?!

Katfish-I think you are just loosing your mind-moving twice in a month and getting a cat will do that for ya. Call me when you can.

Janna - Here we go again-practice is right after open house...

Magaret - awwh come on, it's not so bad....

Big Pissy-Boys may play rough, but my 12yo daughter and all of her friends will kill you with the drama.

The Rocking Pony - LOL- Can you believe that a whole bunch of Daddies walked right by me while I was snapping those things on upside down and not one of them said a word!

mommiebear2 said...

Okay this had me just cracking up! I remember when my cousin was doing football and I watched my aunt stuggle with the tiny pants and pads - cant wait for my turn!?!?!

Anonymous said...

theres new pads that are probly the nicest out and theres no pockets at all

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I had know idea how to put the pads in either! I asked my husband to do it the night before but he was clueless. So now he's golfing and I am stuck trying to figure it out. So I googled football pads practice pants, looked at the images and VOILA! it brought me here! You're pictures really helped! I can't thank you enough!

Anonymous said...

I was surfing the web to figure out how to put my son's football pads on and getting very frustrated. then I ran in to this. THANKS Laughed so hard it made me feel better and the picture really helped.

Eva said...

I found your post after googling "how to put pads in football pants". THANK YOU. My son is thirteen and playing football for the first time. It's very frustrating because the folks at the park tell you things at the last minute if they tell you at all. He's already lost the first tailbone pad, so we are off to the store to buy a replacement. With the help of your post and pics, we should be able to get it right this time.
Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, I started playing football in college. I HAD NO IDEA hot put the pads in, and I didn't want to ask anyone for fear of looking like a, well, you all know he word... Luckly the shoulder pads, cup and helmet go on way!

Mindy Brown said...

Nice to know there are others in the same boat! I came across this while googling "how do i put football pads in my sons pants" and feeling like a bit of an ass after sending my son to his last practice w/pads upside down. Thank you! And thanks for the pics - they help!

Anonymous said...

I also found this blog when searching for 'how to place football pads in'. Thank you for the pics-now I don't have to start drinking early ;)