Monday, February 11, 2008

Mother Of The Year

Friday after school MonkeyBoy told me he wasn't feeling so well...my answer to him..."Suck it up, we gotta go to the store."

Saturday morning, at or around the butt crack of dawn, I was up to get Miss-D ready to go take the ACT...MonkeyBoy groaned and told me his still felt crappy.

Our only option is really the Urgent Care center. It is a really nice place but the waiting time can be 4 or 5 hours. I figured that if we dropped Miss-D off and shagged right on over to the doctor we might be early enough to get in and out quickly. My experience from working in the hospital was that the drunks and/or anyone between the age of 16 and 25 would be sleeping until at least 11am no matter how crappy they felt.

We get dressed and haul Miss-D to the school for her test. It was just as strange as I thought it would be. All of those high school kids were standing in line, bleary eyed, sucking on a coke and holding their car keys. Miss-D was bright eyed and bushy tailed...clutching her little back pack that her Mommy had filled with Capri Sun and snacks.

Then it was off to the clinic. We were not even close to being the first ones there. I had totally forgotten about the older folks...the only people on earth who get up as early as mothers with young children.

When we got to the waiting room there were 4 couples ahead of us. These people had to be in their 80s and had clustered together to chit-chat about the reason for their visit. It looked like some kind of weird group date. People started streaming in steadily after we arrived. This guy who I think may have had TB sat right behind us...I thought I was going to have to be really rude and move but luckily we were called back before I could do it.

First to triage...the place where I got my first indication that I would be nominated for an award...MonkeyBoy had a temp. of 102.5

Then the nurse asked him how long he had been feeling ill..."A couple of days...maybe 3 or 4."

Oh Crap.

What a look I got. Never mind that he had not told me that he felt bad 4 days ago.

We were led to a room and he was swabbed for a quick strep test. The doc came in and she was really sweet as she told me that he was positive for strep. A scrip for antibiotics was written and we were headed out to the office to pay up when I said..."He was at school yesterday...and I can't believe I told him to suck it up."

The doctor said, "Well hey, Mother of the Year!"

I guess she realized that she sounded like a giant beee-ach....cause she quickly told me that her sister had done almost exactly the same thing and that afterwards had labeled herself Mother of the Year...

I kind of felt bad for her; she really didn't mean it in a snotty way....

**** Stay tuned…tomorrow I will be introducing the two new residents of Reeves Farm

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, there! I haven't been by here in a while. Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

don't tell me you found our 2 hamsters roming the area, my they can move in a weeks time....(just kidding we found them a new home)...sorry to hear about monkey boy, hope he is feeling better and hope miss-d wiped those older kids out on the sat....

Anonymous said...

see that sooooospecial gets me all the time, hope she smoked them on the act.......

For the Love... said...

SouthernBell-glad you got to see me!

Sooooospecial...today's post should reallly freak you out...