Friday, February 29, 2008

Taste The Meat Not The Heat...

Yeah, I am channeling Hank Hill.

Almost a year ago my beloved gas grill conked out on me. The parts that need to be replaced will cost several hundred dollars. I thought I could hold out, maybe find them on e-bay or something close enough in size that I could rig something up...yeah that's what you want to hear...that I am "rigging up" my GAS grill.

Months passed and I was seriously missing my grill and all of the yumminess that it provided.

Spring arrived and I found myself strolling through the garden center of my local Wal-Mart. Grills, grills and more grills....I started looking at some of the less expensive charcoal models. I originally got a gas grill for convenience. I wanted to be able to cook quickly and without the hassle of waiting for coals to get hot just to do some hot dogs.

But there is just something about the smell of a charcoal grill being fired up...turns out it is the lighter fluid. I have apparently turned into a steak snob. I spent years perfecting the ribeye on my gas grill...and the first one I cooked on my new charcoal grill was very disappointing.

A ribeye should not taste like smoke and lighter fluid. A week ago I purchased one of the chimneys. You put it in the grill, stuff the bottom with two sheets of wadded up newspaper and then fill the top with charcoal. Light the paper and 15 minutes later you have a chimney full of blazing hot coals.

So this eliminates the need for lighter fluid, and I am going to try cooking a steak with it tonight. Hopefully it will make a big difference in how the food turns out.

So if all goes well tonight we will dine on juicy ribeyes...topped with a dab of my homemade garlic herb butter and baked potatoes...

Cross your fingers...

4 comments:

Sandy said...

I waver myself between gas and charcoal...lol.

If tonight's steak isn't what you want, there is a recipe for pan fried ribeye, yeah, I know, I thought it was a sacrilege, too until I made it, over a Ree's.

www.thepioneerwomancooks.com

So good!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Hope it was delicious!

For the Love... said...

Sandy-Thanks! I checked it out and it looks wonderful!

Leigh-well...I got rid of the funky taste, now I just need to adjust my cooking time so that I don't end up with ribeye jerky.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]EsBowsLSnXVuIbNR[/url] - yhfaZ - http://iluubcb.com