Friday, August 10, 2007

Buffet of Love....

Tomorrow is our family reunion, a good southern reunion is a wonderful thing...

Last year I met some new people, people from Texas that had discovered their connection to our family while tracing their family tree. How cool is that!

The food, ohhhhhh the food......Some EXTREMELY generous MeMaw better will have spent days shelling those teeny tiny field peas...and she will be sharing! Someone else will be bringing a vat of those little bitty butterbeans. For those of you who do not know what butterbeans are-they are NOT just like Lima beans-they only share the same shape. Good butterbeans will be as small as possible and cooked in a ton of real butter. If I open my Mom's fridge and find a pot with a hard layer of white stuff on the top I know I have struck gold-butterbean gold. You just crack that white layer of buttery love and the beans will be there....

There will also be casseroles of every kind, fried chicken, rolls and iced tea. Then the dessert table- that's right people we have an entire table, sometimes two, of desserts! Seven layer caramel cake, chocolate cake, cookies, brownies and pies-oh my!

I have to get some laundry done today, I am guessing that I will be in a food coma most of the weekend.

11 comments:

Gina said...

Being a native of California, and with no Southern relatives, I have never had butterbeans. Or the sweet iced tea you guys are famous for.

Have fun at the reunion!

Anonymous said...

The Texas group were able to get a positive connection with DNA testing--Of course that probably would not work on the locals and we are from South Alabama and you know we all have the same DNA!

Mrs. Reevesfarm's grandmother served the little butterbeans the size of my little fingernail-she had three little slaves to pick and shell - I was the middle one. My family will NEVER taste any thing like those again!

Anonymous said...

Grammer error--should have been "Texas group was"

Anonymous said...

spelling error--oh hell

Phoenix said...

Seven layer caramel cake? I need that. Like now. Can you get me a piece and squish it through the computer too me?

Pretty please with caramel on top?

We haven't had a family renuin in years, but when I was a kid we had them at my grandparents lake house in Texas and there was always a table of dessert too. Have a blast.

Betti said...

mmmmmmmmmm fooooood coma . . .

I *think* I'm reaching the point in pregnancy where I have trouble eating entire meals at once (instead eat lots and lots of tiny meals), so by my request, please achieve food coma on my behalf. :)

Anonymous said...

We just came back from hubby's reunion in Texas...Denver City. What a place! Oil Rigs galore. Here we have cows in the field. Texans realized that cows were worth nothing, they traded 'em in for oil rigs! Heh heh

Anonymous said...

I love butterbeans. They are actually the only bean I eat. Yet I like the great big dried ones. I have a fear of anything green, regardless of the size.

To show my love I even named one of my cats Butterbean. And he's a great big one, too! Not dried though......

Anonymous said...

WOW, had to say something about this post! I could write 2 pages just on food I have had at these things! of course being your cousin,
(That would be CHUCK referred to earlier!) I am not telling anything
u dont already know! How bout fried chicken but between bites have a bite of homemade piminto cheese samwich.... yummmmmm. The
world famous quote from all us grand kids is " I didnt know it was time for the reunion" to which the response is " SON your grandmother would roll over in her grave! YOU know the reunion has been the 2nd Saturday in August for 47 years!!!!!DUHHHHHHHH
Wish we could be there!!! 2 football games tommorrow!! HOT
Love Chuck
bow buck banana fanna foooooo...

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time at the reunion. It is always so fun to see family!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

AHHHHHHH....the many joys of a food coma! YUM!

Interestingly enough...I am not a fan of the butter bean! Maybe it is because it is a bean...and eating vegetables is against my religion! (hee-hee)