Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dumpster Diving Divas

Ok, I am actually writing this today, Thursday. I usually do them the day before cause I ain't so good in the morning. I also just wrote a detailed rant about something that happened yesterday and decided that early morning, haven't had enough coffee blogging could be as dangerous as drunk blogging. So...it has been deleted.

Nutshell: Miss-D became extremely ill yesterday-I noticed this when I picked them up and she was crying saying that she didn't feel good. She did not feel well because her 7th period teacher had her and half of the class standing in a straight line, directly in the sun for at least 45 minutes. They were standing there watching as the other half of the class dug through 50 gallon trash bins looking for aluminum cans. It was in the 100 degree range yesterday and this happened at 2pm. When Miss-D started feeling ill she tried to ease over and lean under a tree-she was yelled at and told to get back in line.

At first the nurse thought we might need to just go straight to the hospital, but 45 minutes later it was safe for me to bring her home. She had to take Dramamine to keep from being sick and ran a temp. of over 100 until well in the night.

The kids that did look for cans got a 100 for that day's grade, those who didn't got nada
  • digging for cans is not in any curriculum I have ever heard of
  • this is dangerous, nasty and stupid-
  • my suggestion of taking any one of the 15 trash cans and putting a "cans only" sign on it have been ignored.

Hum....ok one cup of coffee does not seem to help with the ranting....

15 comments:

Super B's Mom said...

Ok honey...I would be ready to WHOOP SOME ASS over this one. This is inexcusable!!

In our area the teachers are under strict orders to keep kids indoors as much as possible. I cannot believe this. I know this was terrifying for you. So sorry.

I sure hope Miss D is feeling better today.

Anonymous said...

You've got to be freaking kidding me?!?!?! I cannot believe someone, a teacher could be such a complete dumb-ass!!! I hope your daughter feels better and I surely hope that teacher gets his/her ass handed to them on a plate.

Anonymous said...

While I appreciate the teacher's point of the exercise, she SOOOO didn't do that in any intelligent way. Having kids dumpster diving? Did she think there would be no broken glass in those trashcans?! Gah!

Sorry to hear about your girl. Hope she's feeling all better!

Gina said...

Oh, that is a trip to the principals office to discuss getting your daughter a different opportunity to get those 100 points back. What an idiot!

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe this happened AGAIN!!!! what the hell?!?!call me!

Anonymous said...

Yep, Super B said it all...I'd be taking the dr bill to the school! That's b/s!!

What exactly is this supposed to be teaching them anyhow?!

Have you gone to the school about it?

Come over to my blog and see what I have for you. :)

Jennifer said...

That's unbelievable! I can't believe what i just read!

Hope your daughter is feeling better. I think the idea of sending the dr. bill to the school is a great idea.

Betti said...

ummmmm, I'd throw an absolute bitch fit. Does the principal know what happened?

Anonymous said...

Un-effin'-believable! You need to crawl all over that teacher and the principle. She'll be needing her indoor opportunity to earn a 100 and that teacher will need to understand the concept of heat stroke as well as a thousand other things. I'd be asking how dumpster diving was going to be assessed by the state. What a sh*tty thing to have happen. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

uh, that should have been mom2emnroo on the last comment. Not your mama, lol. Got me some quick-typin' trigger fingers here.

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

wait a minute - if they don't dig for cans they didn't get a score?? WTH????

I am so comign there and kicking some ASS for your kiddos.

Southern Fried Mom said...

Sh*t! I smell a freakin' lawsuit! What the hell! I'm too pissed to even comment.

Take care of Miss D.

Unknown said...

What exactly were the kids supposed to be learning from this activity? How to live like a homeless person?

Where do they find teachers like this?!?

For the Love... said...

UPDATE:
Miss-D is just fine, one of her friends who knew about what happened told everyone on her school bus that Miss-D had died-funny sense of humor that one..It was pretty funny all of these kids freaking out when they saw her.

The teacher sent home a note that we were to let her know if our child could particpate in this "elective" activity. It is a sugary version of the truth. It does not mention that the idiot teacher will have them in the blazing sun at 2pm or that the area that they will be rooting around for cans is covered up in yellow jackets...

What I want to know is if the class ends up divided into 2 parts, one inside and one outside which group of 12/13yo boys/girls will be unsupervised??

Bananas said...

OMG that is SO extremely irritating. Wholly deserving of a full-on rant so don't worry about that. Ridiculous!!