Monday, August 6, 2007

Rant

Have any of you ever heard of "People To People"? In January MonkeyBoy was nominated by a teacher to be part of it and they have bombarded us ever since. The first few letters they sent informed us that he was to go to DC for 7 days-alone. Basically they expected us to do this-
1. Put our 10yo on an airplane bound for DC by himself
2. Have faith that some unknown adult would meet him at the DC airport and get him safely to the hotel
3. Believe that other unknown adults would make sure that he was safe in the hotel, make sure he ate and ferry him to all of the activities.
4. O' yeah, and they wanted several thousand dollars.

They do not encourage parental attendance but they would allow a parent to accompany him, but only as far as the hotel, we would not be allowed to attend the events - and one of us going doubled the cost.

Yesterday we got a new letter. Now they want him become a member of the official state of Alabama delegation traveling to Oahu and the Big Island of Hawaii. It will be a 14 day trip with a group of 40 5th and 6th graders who will be "accompanied by four specially selected and trained local teachers." Have they lost their ever loving minds? One "specially" trained chaperon for every 10 kids?!?!

People To People-hear this: I would not let him be in the care of complete strangers for 7 days in DC-What in the world makes you think that I would send him to Hawaii for 2 weeks with more strangers?!?!?

I am sure that this is probably a wonderful opportunity-I just can't get past the whole sending my child off with complete strangers. With all the sicko kiddy touchers and child abusers in the news I just can't do it. Plus the letter talks about them "mastering their snorkeling skills" and sailing a catamaran-With one chaperon per 10 kids there is just no way they will provide adequate supervision for those activities.

Ok, rant over.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I soooo wouldn't send my kid off like that with people I don't know. I cringe everytime my mother takes him to church with her and leaves him the nursery with people I don't know.

Now mine is only nearly three, but I think I will feel the same when he is 15! There is just too much stuff going on - and some of it is the other kids - to put them out there alone. And one adult per ten kids - that's practically alone.

We are in Alabama, too. Hope I never get that letter.....

Anonymous said...

Oh hell no. Who in tarnation would actually send their kids to place without enough supervision and without know a single person going on the trip. Are they nuts?

Phoenix said...

I am so with you. At 15 sure, but not at 10 years old. They must be on crack, yep that's it. Crack.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never heard of them, and now am pretty glad I haven't. I would be taking the same stance as you that's for sure. They are nuts!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Are you kidding me? They are nuts! And any parent that would do that is a bigger nut!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Hey, am I too old to go in his place to Hawaii?? I promise I won't eat more than he would.

Gina said...

That so does not sound kosher to me at all.

I agree, I would never do that. And I wouldn't feel bad, either.

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya there. Now if they made room for mamma...it'd be a different story! ;)