Sunday, August 12, 2007

Good Eats....

Just now waking from my reunion induced food coma. I was talking to my Mom and it occurred to me that there were several things on the Buffet Of Love that some people might never have heard of. So I am going to provide a brief overview with explanations (when necessary).



Pay attention this will be followed by a quiz....


  • 4 different kids of fried chicken

  • Boston butt with homemade bbq sauce

  • 4 different kinds of corn casseroles

  • 2 different kinds of squash casseroles

  • Homemade chicken and dumplings with lattice work crust

  • 4 different kinds of tiny little field peas *The reason everybody loves MeMaws*

  • 2 bowls of butter beans *again, NOT Lima beans-these are tiny and cooked in lots of butter or bacon grease*

  • English peas

  • Broccoli casserole

  • English pea and asparagus casserole

  • Homemade potato salad

  • At least 2 sweet potato casseroles *oh yeah babe, with the pecans and brown sugar..*

  • Homemade mac-n-cheese

  • Homemade pimento cheese

  • 2 different kinds of deviled eggs *you can not have a reunion or holiday of any kind without these*

  • Sliced Vidalia Onion, bell peppers and cucumbers in a cooked vinegar/sugar sauce *this is wonderful over a mound of field peas*

  • 2 kinds of green salad *this is really going to throw you-there is not a single leaf of lettuce in this-it is cream cheese, lime jello, pecans, and sometimes marshmallows and/or pineapple....*

  • Fresh sliced tomatoes *ummm dab of mayo and a dash of salt and pepper.....*

  • A bowl of seeded watermelon *love it with a little dash of salt*

I am sure I probably forgot something-but y'all this was just the lunch stuff I have not gotten to the dessert table yet!



  • 3 different kinds pound cake-coconut, chocolate and sour cream *I could live on just the crust alone*

  • A gallon of fresh sliced peaches *I mean fresh-picked on Friday and peeled on Saturday*

  • Yellow cake with cooked chocolate icing *I have never made cooked icing but it sure is good!*

  • Chocolate pie

  • 4 lemon pies

  • Chess pie

  • Brownies

  • Peach cobbler

  • Caramel Cake

  • Blueberry crumble

I am betting I forgot a few of these too, I was still pre-coma but going fast by the time I got to the dessert table.


All of this was washed down with GALLONS of sweet tea.


So which of these foods have you never heard of? Which ones do you have at your family gatherings? Do y'all have some strange ones of your own?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, you'd have to roll me out or just put me in a wheel barrel! I'm hungry now.

Gina said...

Man, that's a lotta food!

It all sounds delish, though.

Betti said...

Other than "Boston butt" (perhaps a rump-roast?) and "English peas" (maybe tiny peas in a white sauce?) I recognized all the dishes and am especially jealous of the sweet-potato cassroles!

My mom makes those crazy jello-salads that involve improbable ingredients, somehow they always taste good!

Phoenix said...

Have not heard of Boston butt & Chess pie.

A lot of those are served at all of my family reunions too.

You are making me droooooolllll.

No, pecan pie?

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

I didn't get past homemade mac and cheese.

For the Love... said...

Nikki-that is just about how it went.

Gina-It was!

Betti-Boston Butt is a cut of pork that is generally used to make pulled pork sandwiches-bbq. English peas are just those tiny little round peas-LeSueur (in the shiney silver can). I love the "green salad" too!

Phoenix-I have no idea how to make chess pie but it sure is good! Kind of custardy-like a coconut pie minus the coconut. Pecan pie seems to be just for Christmas and Thanksgiving. Don't know why, we are loaded down with pecan trees...

Magaret-That was my contribution-Rob could eat homemade mac-n-cheese for every meal.

Anonymous said...

No pecan pie????