Friday, August 17, 2007

Yesterday Sucked....Updated

On my way home from taking the FlyingMonkeys to school I saw something out of the corner of my eye. There was a giant wasp/bee thingy on my left shoulder-blown right in through the window. I managed to not scald myself with my giant mug-o-coffee, pulled over and beat the crap out of it with my flip flop (yes I know, flip flops and no bra-I am just classy like that). I finally made it home only to find the BIGGEST FRICKEN RATTLESNAKE I have ever seen in my driveway. Shame I didn't have my gun-the scaly minion of Satan had killed one of the bunnies that live in the bushes.

I finally made it in the door. Sat down to start paying bills and the phone rang. I was being summoned.......to the school. I can't say more now because it is still developing...be back to update around noon....stay tuned.

**Update**

Lets start with a little question, how many of you have ever heard of Mentos? Now lets see a show of hands for all of those who have seen the experiment where a Mento is dropped into a bottle of Diet Coke.

Last week during homeroom MonkeyBoy's pal was telling him that he would like to shake up some cokes so that they could spray each other at his upcoming b'day party (pal's party). MonkeyBoy asked him if he had ever tried it with a Mento. The boy had not so MonkeyBoy proceeded to draw up a schematic of a Coke/Mento prank that he had watched on YouTube with his father.
Here is a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-17r61jjIII&mode=related&search=

MonkeyBoy was waiting in the office for me when I got to the school-he was then suspended until a Board Of Education hearing. I was speechless. He had labeled the drawing "Coke Bomb." You will notice on the video that it is labeled bomb. It had a drawing of a 2 liter labeled "coke" and small piece of candy labeled "Mentos," string and the other things needed to complete the prank. I tried to explain to the Principal that it was just a candy experiment and how MonkeyBoy had come to see it. MonkeyBoy had no idea why he was in trouble until I got there and we were told together.

We went to the hearing and the boys were able to return to school. I am still so shaken up by the hearing that I can not post the details....The Superintendent and Principal were fine-more later when I have time to calm down and not do something rash.

18 comments:

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

Oh god...yes...that does suck. Waiting for more....

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm on pins and needles. I hope all is okay.

And rattlesnake?! I have goosebumps now.

Karen said...

You didn't run over the rattlesnake?! I'd so have driven the guts out of it.

Hope things go well at school. One's stomach tightens with calls like that.

Gina said...

It sounds like a "when animals attack!" kind of day. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

wow! Rough day!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...sounds like you've had one helluva day!
Bless your heart. :(

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

OK -

First thing first. They were allowed back into school. That's a good thing.

Second - is this going to be on his "Permanent Record"?

Third - Not having kids - I am assuming you sat down with him and taught what are "no" words from now on. Bomb, shooting, etc are "no" words at school.

Fourth - they had a problem here at a local school with a clearly dumb rule. But it was a rule. The school district had to follow what the state set forth until the school board met.

I wish I had more to say. Not much on the way of advice.

You are right - yesterday did suck for you. I am sorry, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Don't I remember you mentioning the 7th grade science teacher talking about her class mixing up "stuff" to see what would explode?--too bad she was not the teacher involved!

Trixie Twatwaffle said...

you need to come to Houston and we will go have margaritas and mexican food and margaritas.

Even bring the kiddos. I have a slip and slide. And video games.

And a mexican food place real close. For margaritas and queso.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel for you! Former 7th grade science teacher here, and I'm well aware of the bone-headed stunts that age group is capable of and also the idiocy that is the public school system in dealing with said stunts. Anxiously awaiting the update.

Gina said...

Oh my, I'm glad it worked out.

mommiebear2 said...

I have seen that on YouTube before, but the first thing that popped into my mind was what would have happened had that mentos and soda been in my mouth ~although I am sure you have seen THAT video too. Hope everything goes okay. :)

J. A. Blackburn said...

I CANNOT believe it. This amount of response for a drawing of a WELL KNOWN science experiment (hello Mythbusters?!). You must keep us informed!!

Super B's Mom said...

What a crappy day. And a mammoth snake on top of that? That sux.

So sorry, honey. You know it's nuts that administrators have become so terrified of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that they have lost all ability to use common frickin sense. Keep us posted.

I wonder if you could blow a snake up with Mentos?

Paulette Foley said...

As a teacher, I understand that there have to be policies...but, come on...it was obviously not "mento" to blow up the whole school!

For the Love... said...

Sorry it took me so long to respond. All I can really say is that the situation is over. MonkeyBoy was not in trouble with us...he did not set out to do anything wrong. He returned to school and now if I can just get his science teacher to read the handbook MonkeyBoy can make up the science test he missed.

Thanks for all of the support...it has helped a great deal.

Betti said...

gah, I don't read blogs for a couple days and find that my blogoverse has gone crazy . . . I'm glad that everything turned out okay and high-five for you for not freakin-da-hell-out.

Anonymous said...

I am so with the ricking pony on that one! why didn't you run his ass over?!?!!?

glad all is ok at school!!!
kat